Monday, July 6, 2015

Reflections.....

It has been more than a week since I've been back in Virginia and I am finding myself finally ready to reflect on what was an inspiring, powerful and humbling experience in Rwanda. We covered every emotion while on the trip and had some quite entertaining conversations in the green machine. We experienced the pain and suffering of a country devastated by genocide in 1994 to the confidence, rebuilding and productivity of today.

The last evening of our trip we had one last opportunity to have dinner with Pastor John and Robin over a nice dinner and I found myself talking with John about National Parks in America and memorials. I explained to him that I used to work in South Dakota at Mount Rushmore National Memorial which is the four presidents of Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt and Lincoln carved in stone. Pastor John explained to me about a memorial that he continues to build on his land along the river where the other side is Tanzania. He has been planting trees in honor of the people that were killed and bodies dumped into the river at the Rwandan border. John has planted around 45,000 trees so far and continues to plant more in his spare time. He also asked me about campgrounds in the states and how I could help him to design one at his memorial so people could come and enjoy the area. I am honored to help him design this amazing memorial and I can't wait to go back and see the site!

I have always been interested in global missions but during my time in Rwanda I have also found myself thinking about our community of Rockingham County, and the city of Harrisonburg. How can I better serve the people and immerse myself in community?  I need to find my place within the local community which my take a while to find my niche, but I know that I am drawn to mission and service.

One more thing I find myself drawn back to is the students at the Rwamagana School and a particular student. From the time that we met some of the students at the school I found a bright and smiling girl that immediately took at liking to me. The students name is Melissa and I found myself just excited to get to know her story and talk with her. During my time of finding out how to come home and deal with the experiences I have learned I found myself asking Robin the day that we were leaving what Melissas story was at the school. Robin immediately told me that she is one of the students who needs a sponsor; someone to help pay for her education. That was it! That was the piece that God had put in my life that was missing. I am so excited to sponsor Melissa and I hope to go back and see how she is doing in school.



My time in Rwanda is over for now, but I find my heart is just not complete yet. I have left a small part in Rwanda, and hopefully in a few years when my pocket book finds the money; I will be able to go back and see the people, the country, and build more relationships.

Thank you all again for your support and prayers!


Kelly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment