Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Kigali Genocide Memorial

Yesterday brought back a lot of the memories I had specifically of the genocide in Nyamata and in the church there, however the Kigali Memorial reminded me of the way we honor people in the states. This memorial was more of a story and explained a lot more about how the genocide started in Rwanda and how today people transformed their way of thinking. Rwandans are proud and confident in themselves and finding a new pride in this country.







As I sit reflecting in the hotel this morning I hear the sound of birds chirping but they are overloaded by the sound of construction and progress. Our time in Rwanda is coming to a close soon and I realize I am not done here. We are near the end of this trip, but I can't wait to be back and continue to see the change and progress this country holds.

We had dinner with Robin and John this evening and as we walked into the restaurant I feel like I am back in America. The lighting and atmosphere was beautiful! I feel the transition starting. It was so nice to be with them one last time and John had a specific question for me. I am going to help him design his memorial for the genocide along the Kagera River to remember the lives that were taken there and thrown into the river. I am so honored to help and my mind is already flowing with ideas. My time in Rwanda will only continue!






Hebrews 12:1 
~ We have all these great people around us as examples. Their lives tell us what faith means. So we, too, should run the race that is before us and never quit! We should remove from our lives anything that would slow us down and the sin that so often makes us fall.

1 comment: